My Blog List

Friday, October 8, 2010

Blog 6: Hero

This is the second time that I watch the movie Hero. I really enjoyed it the first time that I viewed it and must say that now that I’m older I still enjoyed it but did get more out of it. It may be due to the fact that I’m able to grasp things that are not easily comprehended or just simply that it’s been too long since I saw it so it wasn’t as fresh in my mind. The movie was great I loved its sense of humor and subtle signs of hero’s. Like it was addressed in class the media does like to sensationalize certain people in order to boost ratings and viewing. A lot of times if someone doesn’t fit the description of a hero they will get brushed to the side because we as a culture are trained into thinking that hero’s have to look a certain way. I did like the fact that after Bernie Laplante saved all those people and made his way to go see his son with his missing shoes no one believed him. The only person that had a slight thought that it could have been him was his son. I think they play into this because as a child a lot of children look up to and think that their fathers or mothers are hero’s. One aspect that was pointed out to me was that the director was British and now I see a lot of symbols of how we use American colors and patriotic music for a lot of things instead of for truly patriotic things.

2 comments:

  1. This was a interesting entry about your take on the movie. I thought it was good too. I feel like you could have wrote a bit more because you made some interesting points.

    I would have liked to hear more about Bernie's relationship with his son. You brought up a interesting point on how he continued to see his son with only one shoe, but I found myself wanting to know more about that aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sal's comment. You made a lot of interesting points that I didn't really think about, for example, how you said that the only person who actually might have believed him is his son and how kids look up to their mothers and fathers as their younger. This is an idea I found intriguing because most of the entries centralize around the media and the patriotic aspect of the movie, whereas focusing in on that particular relationship is something most of us didn't do.
    I also liked that you gave us some information about how you enjoyed the movie and now that you're older, you got more out of the movie.
    Overall, I just think you should elaborate more, you have some good points. :]

    ReplyDelete